"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." Nelson Mandela
Recent issues with racism and discrimination within the property industry has resulted in the Real Estate Business Owners of South Africa (REBOSA) drafting an Equality Pledge which they are urging all South African estate agents to take.
REBOSA has a zero tolerance approach to all forms of discrimination in the real estate industry and society. The organisation will not be silent in the face of intolerance based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, disability or religion. REBOSA supports an inclusive society in which diversity is valued and respected.
REBOSA is cognisant of the fact it has to use its position as the most representative body in the real estate industry to convey values that can assist society in being more tolerant of diversity.
As a consequence, REBOSA is calling on the entire industry to take the REBOSA EQUALITY PLEDGE:
- I pledge to treat everyone with dignity, fairness and respect
- I pledge to work towards eliminating discrimination, whether by reason of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age or religion
- I pledge to demonstrate respect for equality and diversity, and ensure that prejudice and discrimination do not go unchallenged I pledge to promote a safe, fair, equitable and diverse working environment
- I pledge to make human rights values part of my everyday life and language; by listening, learning, communicating and educating; and by being open minded and impartial
- I pledge to uphold the principles of anti-discrimination in the real estate industry
- I pledge to aggressively promote professionalism in the real estate industry and work towards creating a robust environment free from discrimination in all its forms
To pledge your support download a PDF of the pledge, fill in and email back to firstname.lastname@example.org.