Find out more about the Douglasdale neighbourhood in Fourways.
Douglasdale is a centrally located and quiet neighbourhood. For the most part, residents enjoy a greater level of peace and calm during the week except for the weekend when partygoers liven up the suburb.
It is close to all major roads and highways, with the main road, Douglasdale Drive, connecting the area to Fourways on the one side and Bryanston to the other.
An unusual attraction for many are the pavement gardens, especially the one at the intersection of Douglas Drive and Leslie Avenue, initiated in 2010 by Susan Mottram of Headline News who continues to oversee them. The gardens have transformed the once eroded, dirty pavements to picture perfect images of what it’s like to live in Douglasdale.
Businesses contribute towards the cleaning and maintenance of these gardens as well as parks as part of crime fighting initiatives.
The suburb built upon Douglasdale Farm, a large farm that was started in 1905 by Thomas Douglas and his wife Janet Alexander who both immigrated to South Africa from Scotland in 1890, is now home to some of the country’s best-known media personalities.
Douglasdale Dairy offers tours to the public that are very popular with children. These free tours last for approximately three hours and take visitors through the milk production processes.
Residents have peace of mind as the Dougladale SAPS is known for its quick response time when crime has been reported. This and the fact that it’s a convenient location is a draw card for many, and makes Douglasdale a quaint suburb worth considering if weighing options between Fourways and Bryanston.
What I love most about Douglasdale is the convenient location to Fourways and Bryanston, and the shopping centres close
by Gary Hood, resident.
- Norscot Manor Recreation Centre for various activities, events and functions
- Montecasino entertainment precinct
- Fourways Farmers Market every Sunday
- Pavement gardens
- Douglasdale Dairy facility tours
Best in food:
- Throbbing Strawberry Italian restaurant
- Hogshead pub and grill
- Ribs n Steak on Douglas
- Clay Oven
- Banjaara, an Indian eatery
- Close to the Montecasino Gautrain bus station
- Witkoppen Road has a number of taxis running through the area and from Northgate to Fourways -Douglasdale Road links the suburb to Bryanston and Fourways and connects to the busy William Nicol Drive
- Close to William Nicol Drive and the NI Highway
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Take a journey through Fourways in this spectacular video: