Florida Hills - One With a View

Private Property South Africa
Ben Kelly

Florida Hills sits between Hendrik Potgieter, at the point where it runs parallel to the N1 highway and Ontdekkers Road, a suburb that features a mishmash of high-end freehold properties as well as middle of the road sectional title properties. What sets Florida Hills apart from many other suburbs is the hilly topology of the suburb, with many of the properties set into the rocky outcrops that form the eastern face of the hills the run northward to the Magaliesberg.

Having this location, many of the properties have fantastic views and at night you can look out across the lights of north-west of Johannesburg. This kind of location breeds loyalty among owners with almost 50 percent of owners having owned their properties for 11 years or more.This loyalty has the side effect of pushing up the average age of owners, with more than 20 percent over 65 and only about five percent are under the age of 35.

Freehold properties make up the largest proportion of the property pool with almost 70 percent falling into this category. The remaining 30 percent falling into the sectional title category. Over the past 12 months 20 freehold properties were sold in Florida Hills with the average selling price sitting at R1.5 million with the most expensive property tipping the scales at R3.2 million. Only eight sectional title properties changes hands in the same time for an average price of R600 000. With the sectional title developments in the area well-established prospective buyers can get good value in developments with decent sized and well built town houses.

Because of its location it sits perfectly between the 14th Avenue and Gordon road onramps to the N1 providing options for residents looking to avoid the traffic. There has also been a lot of development around the 14th Avenue interchange and including large developments by Standard Bank and MTN, making finding tenants for rental accommodation relatively easy. While the schools are not right one the doorstep, private schools such St Catherine’s Convent and La Salle College are close by and just across the highway are some good schools feeding the Northcliff and Fairlands area.

Looking to sell your home?
Advertise your property to millions of interested buyers by listing with Private Property now!
List your home privately

Share:

Found this content useful?

Get the best of Private Property's latest news and advice delivered straight to your inbox each week

Related Articles

Cotswold Downs Golf Estate
Find property for sale in the Cotswold Downs Golf Estate. Enjoy a blissful retreat from the city in a secure community enveloped by scenic landscapes
Win A Home Season 4 EP10: The Kitchen Challenge
For their next challenge, the Win a Home Design Duos have to cook up an exciting space. But, with a deadline looming, things might get too hot to handle in one of these designer kitchens.
Win A Home Season 4 EP10: The Kitchen Challenge
Exciting news is served up as our design duos receive their next challenge, plus a few generous gifts to help them cook up really amazing ideas that’ll hopefully be a recipe for success.
Debunking the Kitchen Island with Caesarstone
Nowadays the kitchen isn’t just the heart of the home, it’s the living heart of the home.
;