Agent commentary on Newlands

Agent commentary on Newlands

Private Property South Africa

Learn more about Newlands from local property experts.

How has Newlands changed over the past five years?

Over the past five years, Newlands has seen a dramatic change in population demographics. Five years ago, white South Africans made up 90% of the residents and the remaining 10% of the population group was made up of black South Africans, Indian, Asian and coloured South Africans. Although there is still a large percentage of white South Africans residing in Newlands today, the percentage of black South Africans has definitely increased, to the point where one might speculate that demographics at this point may be closer to 40% white South Africans, 35% black South Africans and 15% Indian, Asian and coloured South Africans.

Johalet Steyn: Property Consultant, Seeff Properties

What attracts buyers to this area?

Situated up on a hill overlooking a beautiful green city, Newlands is the ideal upmarket residential area for the young professional, offering sectional-title property as well as freehold properties. Its boomed-off security is one reason for its popularity as well as its convenient location close to Menlyn with quick access to surrounding areas and highways. The area is also ideal for investors who earn a good return on rental properties. There’s a choice of schools such as Hatfield Christian School, The Glen High School and Pro Arte Alphen Park, and varied shopping facilities at Newlands, Menlyn Motor City and Paragon Shopping Centres.

Elsabe Henrico: Property Professional, Adrienne Hersch Properties

Who is buying property in the area and what types of properties are available?

In the upmarket suburb of Newlands property types consist mainly of houses and duets. There are 10 sectional-title complexes of which three are stacked simplexes and three full-title complexes as well as two retirement villages. It is mostly younger people in the plus/minus 30-year age group who are currently buying properties in Newlands. This is due to the fact that not only do they have easy access to all amenities, such as shopping malls, excellent schools, churches and easy access to the N1, but also because of the very active neighbourhood watch.

Colin Michael: Property Professional, Aida Pretoria East

This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.

Take a trip through Pretoria East here:


Found this content useful?

Get the best of Private Property's latest news and advice delivered straight to your inbox each week

Related Articles

Estate agent guide to Raslouw
Find out about the property market in Raslouw, Centurion West from local estate agents.
Brummeria estate agent Q&A
A snapshot of the property market in Brummeria, according to local property experts.
Fourways property market geared for growth
A concentration of mixed-use, commercial and residential developments are significantly driving growth in the Fourways property sector.

Explore neighbourhoods mentioned in this article

Pretoria East (South)
Spacious and sporty
This neighbourhood caters for a broad range of people. Shopperholics can get their fix at one of the large malls. Those seeking entertainment or a good meal have plenty of choices. For nature lovers Rietvlei Nature Reserve offers fishing, game viewing, hiking and cycling.