The second most exclusive suburb in Joburg boasts over 100 homes worth R20 million each. Find out more about life in this upmarket neighbourhood.
About the area
Located north of Johannesburg and first named in 1949, Bryanston is home to many wealthy individuals and industry captains of industry who own some of the most lavish mansions in the area. It was ranked as the second most exclusive suburb in Johannesburg with 100 homes priced over R20m in 2015, according to New World Wealth.
Homes in this area are characterised by large gardens on big stands although in recent years, many of these properties have been sold off to make way for complexes, says Roger Hunting, who has lived in the area for 11 years.
Hunting says the last five years or so have seen a number of developments such as the Nicolway Bryanston mall and the revamping of Hobart Grove Shopping Centre as well as office properties and the Virgin Active gym.
It is also home to the Bryanston Country Club, one of Johannesburg’s most established and sought-after golf courses, as well as a number of schools and entertainment facilities, meaning you live, work and play in the area.
What used to be the five-star Silverwood Manor guesthouse has been converted into Livewell Village, Bryanston, for people living with dementia or Alzheimer’s. In keeping up with the suburb’s reputation, the suites offer the best specialised medical care in this field.
I love the convenience and accessibility to services such as schools, retail facilities and the freeway.
Roger Hunting, resident.
- The Bryanston Country Club: for a round of golf or meal
- The Jozi X adventure centre: for a fun-filled day
- The GardenShop: for plants, trees and garden furniture
- The Bryanston Organic & Natural Market at Michael Mount Waldorf School: for fresh produce and handcrafted items
- The Nicolway Bryanston mall: for all your shopping needs
Best in food
- Fruits & Roots at Hobart Grove Shopping Centre
- French Corner Bakery at Cramerview Shopping Centre
- Rhapsody’s Cafe & Wine Bar
- Turn ‘n Tender at Nicolway Bryanston mall
- Woolworths Cafe at Bryanston Shopping Centre
Best in education:
- Brescia House School
- Bryanston Pre-Primary and Bryanston High School
- British International College
- Rhona's TLC Playgroup
- St Stithians College
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Take a journey through the Sandton and Bryanston neighbourhoods here: