The village of Parkhurst, with its inviting community feel and convenient location, attracts people from all walks of life, including academics, artists, and business owners.
About the area
2015 saw the launch of the Parkhurst Village Fair, a celebration of the suburb’s unique character.
Young couple, Alison and Wesley Smith, who have lived in Parkhurst for five years, chose this location as their home because it has a good vibe that suits their lifestyle. Alison, a ballerina and designer, relates to this lifestyle; she thrives on new ideas, meeting new people and creating something new – the buzz in this suburb feeds her creativity.
When not working, the couple enjoy browsing through shops along the 4th Avenue strip, renowned for its modern chic, with shops and restaurants spilling out onto the pavement befitting a trendy village. From this strip, expect to find unusual decor and furniture pieces from antique stores, new releases for book lovers as well as everyday essentials. For further shopping, Rosebank Mall, Sandton City and Hyde Park Corner are close by, while for a night out, more trendy spots can be found in villages like Melville and Greenside.
On weekends, the couple take their dog for walk and catch up with neighbours and village folks at Verity Park: a popular spot for dog owners.
Parkhurst’s village feel and the fact that we can walk the streets makes it a great place to live in.
Alison and Wesley Smith, residents.
- The suburb is close to Jan Smuts Avenue.
- The Rosebank Gautrain station is a short drive away, and so are Gautrain bus stations along Jan Smuts Avenue.
- It’s an easy drive during off-peak hours to surrounding suburbs.
Best in food:
- Bottega Cafe: for a taste of Italian
- Nice on 4th: for brunch, egg baskets and crumpet stacks
- Hudsons The Burger Joint: for drinks and burgers
- Volo Telo: for coffee and great pastries
Things to do:
- Go late-night shopping on the strip for holidays and special occasions like Christmas in July.
- Take the dogs for a walk at Verity Park.
- Visit the African Craft Market of Rosebank for authentic souvenirs.
- Walk the 4th Avenue strip, browsing the shops.
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Take a journey through Rosebank in this amazing video tour: