eXp World Holdings (NASDAQ : EXPI), the holding company of the local real-estate disruptor eXp South Africa, has reported stellar annual financial results. Global revenue surged 110% to $3.8 billion in 2021. This has largely been driven by a 72% rise in agent growth.
The cloud-based real estate brokerage is one of the fastest-growing in the world. Having entered the local market in December 2020, eXp now has a solid footprint in South Africa and is growing at pace with its global counterparts. Below, eXp World Holdings Founder and CEO Glenn Sanford explains how 2021 was another year of tremendous growth, as the company's core focus on innovation enabled it to welcome nearly 30,000 new agents across six continents to the eXp stable.
Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2021 Financial Highlights as Compared to the Same Year-Ago Period:
- Revenue increased 110% to $3.8 billion in 2021 and increased 77% to $1.1 billion in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Gross profit increased 85% to $296.0 million in 2021 and increased 65% to $83.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Net income increased 162% to $81.2 million in 2021 and increased 101% to $15.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2021. An income tax provision benefit of $47.5 million and $14.2 million, respectively, is included in the full year and the fourth quarter 2021 net income.
- Earnings per diluted share increased 143% to $0.51 in 2021 and increased 100% to $0.10 per diluted share in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Adjusted EBITDA (a non-GAAP financial measure) increased 35% to $78.0 million in 2021. Adjusted EBITDA was $13.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2021 compared to $16.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2020. Excluding a $10 million one-time legal settlement in the fourth quarter, adjusted EBITDA increased 52% to $88.0 million in 2021, and increased 39% to $23.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- As of Dec. 31, 2021, cash and cash equivalents totaled $108.2 million, compared to $100.1 million as of Dec. 31, 2020. The Company repurchased approximately $172.0 million of common stock during 2021.
- The Company paid a cash dividend for the fourth quarter of 2021 of $0.04 per share of common stock on Nov. 15, 2021. On Feb. 17, 2022, the Company’s Board of Directors declared a cash dividend of $0.04 per share of common stock for the first quarter of 2022 expected to be paid on March 31, 2022 to shareholders of record on March 11, 2022.
“2021 was another year of tremendous growth for eXp, as our core focus on innovation enabled us to welcome nearly 30,000 new agents across six continents to eXp,” said Glenn Sanford, Founder, Chairman and CEO of eXp World Holdings. “As real estate professionals increasingly turn to technology-based solutions for productivity and collaboration, our cloud-based platform has given us a first-mover advantage to scale our brokerage at the fastest rate in the industry. We attract top agents that value freedom, compensation and community.”
“We evolved our robust suite of products and services last year as we made preparations to launch SUCCESS Lending, a synergistic mortgage solution that aims to provide greater efficiencies and clearer communication between agents and their customers. To deepen our commitment to developing and inspiring our community of real estate professionals, we launched SUCCESS Coaching, our new business that provides a results-driven approach to personal development. Looking ahead, we believe there is significant opportunity to capture additional market share in the real estate and adjacent industries as people and companies adapt to a digital future. We will remain focused on fostering collaboration and building an unparalleled network of industry professionals around the world,” concluded Sanford.
“In 2021, we achieved a record $3.8 billion in revenue by focusing on our growing, global community of real estate agents,” said Jeff Whiteside, CFO and Chief Collaboration Officer of eXp World Holdings. “Our year-over-year increase in transaction volume proves that the eXp model is resonating with top-producing agents and our ability to maintain this momentum underscores the strength of our competitive position. Reinvesting incremental cash flows generated by our business in products, services and technologies that further enhances the eXp platform for agents remains a priority as we scale, both within our existing markets and globally.”
Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2021 Operational Highlights as Compared to the Same Year-Ago Period:
- Agents and brokers on the eXp Realty platform increased 72% to 71,137 as of Dec. 31, 2021.
- Real estate transactions closed increased 86% to 444,367 in 2021 and increased 52% to 125,029 in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Real estate transaction volume increased 116% to $156.1 billion in 2021 and increased 82% to $44.9 billion in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- eXp Realty expanded into nine new international locations in 2021, including Puerto Rico, Brazil, Italy, Hong Kong, Colombia, Spain, Israel, Panama and Germany. In February 2022, the Company successfully launched in the Dominican Republic and announced plans to establish operations in Greece and New Zealand in the first quarter of 2022.
- SUCCESS® Lending, LLC – a residential lending joint venture with Kind Lending, LLC – was established and SUCCESS Coaching™ – a coaching program for entrepreneurs and business professionals – was launched.
- eXp Realty ended 2021 with a global Net Promoter Score of 71, a measure of agent satisfaction as part of the Company’s intense focus on improving the agent experience.
The revenue growth recorded is definitely positive and points to expected growth in 2022.