Davenport is situated at the bottom end of Glenwood in Durban, and although it may not be as fancy as its neighbour, there are a number of things that attract people to this area.
Once home to up-and-coming middle class Victorians, many of these houses were sadly neglected before businesses saw beyond the tired broekie lace and not only restored a little of Durban’s history, but transformed the buildings into an array of coffee shops, antique shops, restaurants, galleries and boutiques. The area now boasts a distinctive bohemian feel and although it attracts all Durbanites, it proudly remains a Glenwood gem.
The proximity to the University of KwaZulu-Natal has made the area extremely popular with students and investors who lease out student accommodation. Although Lightstone notes that sectional title units only make up 21,39% of the property in the suburb, a large number of apartments are situated in the Davenport area. The statistics don’t split the suburb into specific areas, but it's relatively safe to assume that the average price currently being paid for a flat is around R565,000.
So what's it like to live there? The overwhelming response to this was – it’s fun. It's also convenient because it's close to Durban city and the beach. Residents also say they love the fact that both the Davenport Square and the Berea Centre shopping centres are close by and those we spoke to say that they often take advantage of the wonderful array of eateries in the area.
Glenwood is one of Durban's oldest suburbs and there are a number of excellent, well-established schools there, including Glenwood High School for boys, Durban Girls’ High School, Glenwood Preparatory School and Penzance Primary School. Those who wish to educate their children privately are also spoilt for choice and the available schools include St Henry's Marist College and Holy Family College.
Best in food:
- Yossi’s Moroccan Restaurant
- Olive and Oil
- Corner Cafe
Top health-care facilities:
- Life Entabeni Hospital
- Netcare St Augustine’s Hospital
- Glenwood Medical and Dental Centre
Best of nature:
- Pigeon Valley Nature Reserve is a fabulous escape to wander around in and watch the duiker and unbelievable birdlife. A guided walk is held once a month through the nature reserve.
- Bulwer Park set in the heart of Glenwood is popular with dog walkers, young families and fitness fanatics.
- Although the Durban Botanical Gardens are not situated in Glenwood itself, the gorgeous spot is only minutes away for those who want to relax, enjoy an outdoor concert or have a picnic.
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Journey through Durban, in this spectacular video tour: