Find out what life is like in Northcliff, and what the property market is doing in this area.
About the area
Located on Northcliff Hill, the suburb of Northcliff is perhaps best known for its 360° views of the city that can stretch as far as the Magaliesberg mountains on a clear day. With its spacious homes lining winding streets surrounded by tall trees and natural bush, Northcliff feels far removed from the hustle and bustle of Joburg, even though you’re right in the city. The area still features large patches of untouched indigenous vegetation, and one of the area’s strong selling points is its established indigenous gardens that attract a variety of birds and animals.
Another of Northcliff’s drawcards is its relative value for money when compared with other Joburg suburbs with properties of the same size. While Northcliff has its fair share of modern mansions, there are also plenty of older, well-looked-after houses that give the neighbourhood great character. Prices for houses range from around R2m for a good-sized family home, up to R12m and above for luxurious mansions.
Despite its hilltop location, Northcliff is close to the N1 highway as well as Beyers Naudé Drive, so attractions further north like the Cradle of Humankind, Hartebeespoort or the Magaliesberg mountains are well within reach. In terms of amenities, neighbourhood shopping centres include the Verdi Shopping Centre, Home Living Design Centre and Heathway Square, while more major shopping hubs like Cresta and Clearwater Mall are still in close proximity.
Most Northcliff residents agree that the suburb has a great sense of community, giving it a traditional feel that’s popular with families. There are also several schools, tennis courts, gyms and golf courses nearby, so it’s great for young families looking for outdoor activities. It’s also popular with people who like to exercise, and walkers, runners and cyclists use the hill as an option.
With its incredible views and spacious, value-for-money properties, Northcliff remains an attractive investment option for anyone looking for a classic family home.
Northcliff is full of massive homes with huge gardens and great views, but they’re nowhere near Westcliff prices
Northcliff resident, Angela Isbister.
Best in food:
- Impala Fruiterers: for a wide range of fruit, vegetables and local produce
- Olivia’s Coffee Bake: for fresh bread, pastries, coffee and breakfast
- Lucio’s Pizzeria: a family-run Italian restaurant that’s been serving pizza since 1987
- Thundergun, an old-school steakhouse that’s been in business since 1968, famous for its Sunday roasts
Local shopping options:
- Verdi Shopping Centre
- Home Living Design Centre
- Heathway Square
Best outdoor activities:
- Walk, run or cycle up Northcliff Hill.
- Play tennis, squash, bowls and more at the Northcliff Country Club.
- Play golf at the one of the two courses at the Randpark Golf Club.
- Get a great cardio workout at the Northcliff Karate Academy and Northcliff CrossFit.
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Take a trip through Northcliff here: