Convenience is the word in Paulshof as schools, shopping and entertainment all within driving and walking distance.
Drawn to its a¬ffordability and easy access to transport routes, Lethu Ndlovu has lived in Paulshof for six years and has never thought about moving. “It’s a small suburb which o¬ffers convenience, with schools, shopping and entertainment all within driving and walking distance. It doesn’t get better than that,” says Lethu.
A health-conscious person, Lethu enjoys using the area’s running and walking routes in the mornings and evenings. She shops at Woolworths Food in Cambridge Shopping Centre, which is currently being revamped, and likes visiting Mugg and Bean to refuel after a run or walk.
Neighbouring Sunninghill has a number of shopping centres to choose from and a sizeable Builders Warehouse. A Pick n Pay recently opened at Petervale Centre ensuring that residents don’t have to drive far for everyday basics. There are a number of restaurants and eateries in and around Paulshof as well as good schools and hospitals. The area is also home to luxury car dealership Porsche Centre Johannesburg and the FreeMe Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre in the Rietfontein Nature Reserve.
Residents take an active part in keeping Paulshof safe. “The Paulshof Residents’ and Ratepayers’ Association is very proactive. As a result, residents feel safe and I enjoy the outdoors,” says Lethu.
New secure developments in the area, such as Bacara and The Quails, continue to attract buyers from all walks of life.
Paulshof is one of those best-kept gems of Joburg; I love its quaint village feel. I honestly can’t think of living elsewhere but here.
-Lethu Ndlovu, resident.
Dine out in Paulshof
- Mugg and Bean: for cafe food
- German Country Club: for after-work or weekend drinks
- Luca’s: for tasty Italian fare
- Jackson’s Real Food Market: for organic treats
- Panetonne Cafe: for family dining
- The Barnyard Theatre: for live entertainment
- Liliesleaf: for tours and local history
- Mall of Africa: for retail therapy
- Rietfontein Nature Reserve: for a relaxed walk
- Rivonia Recreation Club: for a variety of sports
Schools near Paulshof:
- British International College
- Brescia House School
- Crawford College
- Michael Mount Waldorf School
- Redhill School
- St Peter’s Boys Prep School
- St Peter’s College
- St Stithians College
- Lycée Jules Verne
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
View more of the neighbourhood here: