Find out about the lifestyle and property market in the Point Waterfront, Durban.
The Point Waterfront may not yet be complete, but that doesn't mean that the existing infrastructure and the residential developments aren't impressive. What was once a dilapidated, notorious area has been transformed and now boasts waterways, modern blocks of upmarket apartments, restaurants and offices. There is still a long way to go, but new life is now being breathed into what many believe will come to be regarded as the V&A Waterfront of KwaZulu-Natal.
After some toing and froing, it was recently announced that 750,000m2 would be developed in this area, including 55-storey skyscrapers and an extension of the existing promenade to run to the harbour entrance, creating a wrap-around effect.
The area has proved to be popular with those who want to take full advantage of what the beachfront has to offer while living in a secure environment that can only improve when the proposed new development is completed.
UShaka Marine World may have spearheaded the rejuvenation of this beautiful spot, but there are many more attractions, including gorgeous views of Africa’s busiest harbour and miles of beachfront on its doorstep. There's a wide variety of restaurants and other amenities available making this area ideal for those who want to invest in a holiday home. Likewise it's also an ideal spot for those who work in the area – a sector that's bound to increase with the proposed future commercial development in the entire region.
Perhaps the best news of all is that despite its somewhat previous history, the area is considered to be extremely safe and many of those who have invested in property at the Point now enjoy a laid-back Durban lifestyle.
Things to do:
- uShaka Marine World: there are plenty of attractions at this world-class venue including Sea World, the largest aquarium in the southern hemisphere.
- Durban Botanical Gardens: founded in 1849, the park features an impressive array of flora including bromeliads, cycads and orchids.
- Sun Coast Casino and Entertainment World: situated on Durban’s North Beach, the centre offers the latest movies as well as a wide choice of restaurants.
- Netcare St Augustine’s Hospital
- Life Entabeni Hospital
- North Beach Medical Centre
- Clifton School
- Durban Girls’ Colleges
- St Henry’s Marist College
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Take a tour of Durban in this amazing video: