The thriving and eclectic suburb of Parktown North, in Johannesburg is a centrally located and highly desired area.
It ticked the right boxes for Lee-Ann Louverdis, who has lived in the area for 25 years and is also the chairperson of the Parktown North Ratepayers and Residents Association.
Lee-Ann describes Parktown North as an older and established area in northern Johannesburg. “It’s a mix of a quiet, relaxed neighbourhood and a bustling business heartland of co¬ffee shops, retail and a superb restaurant culture.”
Younger families live side by side with older residents whose families have lived in the area for generations. “It’s wonderful to see more contemporary homes springing up beside well-established colonial-style homes for which Parktown North is well-known,” says Lee-Ann.
She lives with her husband, son and mother, and they were all happy to move into an area with a warm and welcoming community and an active residents’ association which helps to keep the neighbourhood safe.
Lee-Ann says the suburb is close to many amenities, such as good schools, restaurants, shopping centres as well as dining and entertainment facilities. “Parktown North lies close to Jan Smuts Avenue and other major roads, and is easily accessible from major highways.”
The suburb is also a popular dining destination and young and old can be seen socialising at the wide variety of restaurants, including The Local Grill and Patachou Patisserie, which sells “the most delicious sourdough bread and other delicacies”, says Lee-Ann. La Boqueria and Il Contadino are two new exciting additions to the ever-growing Parktown North restaurant scene.
I love Parktown North because of its leafy streets and well-established gardens with mature trees
-Lee-Ann Louverdis, resident.
Where to eat in Parktown North
- Foundry: for great pizza in a rustic setting
- La Cucina di Ciro: for fine Italian dining
- Turn ‘n Tender Steakhouse: for amazing steaks
- Workshop 55: for modern dining and delectable tapas
- Patachou Patisserie: for French pastries and light meals
- La Boqueria: for tapas influenced by markets around the world
- Gabriella’s Tearoom: for delicious cakes, muffins and gourmet dishes
- The National Eatery and Speakeasy: for organic farm-to-table eating
- That Spot on Fourth: for coffee, breakfast and lunch
Things to do in Parktown North
- Visit The Local Grill for cooking demonstrations.
- Enjoy contemporary art exhibitions at Gallery Momo.
- Shop for mid-century furniture at Jeremy Stephen Antiques.
- Enjoy salsa dancing at The Full Stop Cafe.
- Take a family excursion to Johannesburg Zoo and Zoo Lake.
Schools in Parktown North
- Craighall Primary School
- Greenside High School
- Hyde Park High School
- Parkview Primary School
- Parktown High School for Girls
- Rosebank Primary School
Why we love Parktown Quarter
- Parktown Quarter effortlessly combines community, retail and lifestyle to create a unique shopping experience. Located on the corner of Third and Seventh avenues in Parktown North, the established mall offers shoppers a taste of European life with street-side restaurants and boutiques. Shops at the centre include Woolworths, Montys Liquor Boutique, Wellness Warehouse, Sorbet, Rainbow Sexy Jewellery, Simply Asia, Nando’s, Foundry, Motherland Coffee, Turn ‘n Tender Steakhouse and Yo! Sushi, among others.
Find out more at www.parktownquarter.co.za.
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
View more of this neighbourhood here: