Parkwood in Joburg’s northern suburbs has an abundance of sporting and entertainment options as well as excellent schools.
Parkwood is a quaint suburb in northern Johannesburg and also one of The Parks precinct burbs, sought after by many homebuyers.
Its tranquillity and location close to neighbouring Rosebank, Saxonwold and Parkview means it boasts the many amenities that all these well-established suburbs have.
Wirie Rust has lived in Parkwood for 31 years and says what makes this suburb super special is its tree-lined streets, its community feel and sense of security.
Rust says security is provided by four different security companies that patrol the suburb around the clock ensuring residents have peace of mind and get to truly relax when at home.
The fact that it is close to Parkhurst, Parkview and Rosebank makes it even more ideal for the whole family as everything is literally at one’s doorstep. Parkhurst and Parkview offer a village type feel with various shops to choose from, dining, and entertainment spots while Rosebank Mall offers a one-stop destination to cater to every need.
Being in The Parks precinct means there is an abundance of excellent schools including St Johns College, King Edward VII School, Parktown Girls’ and Boys’ High Schools, among others.
Parkwood is close to many of Gauteng’s famous sports clubs, including Country Club Johannesburg and The Wanderers Club, while golfers can choose from nearby Parkview and Killarney golf clubs.
Art lovers often indulge in fine works of contemporary art and thought-provoking exhibitions at the renowned Goodman Gallery located on Jan Smuts Avenue. Woolworths Food is also just across the road making it easier and convenient to dash in and out to buy everyday essentials.
The best thing about living in Parkwood is the trees, parks and the proximity to the Joburg CBD, Rosebank Gautrain station and everything that matters to make life easy
Wirie Rust, resident
- Abundance of public transport on Jan Smuts Avenue and Oxford Road
- Close to major highways and arterial roads
- Easy access to Joburg CBD, Rosebank and Sandton
- Rosebank Gautrain station and buses
- Uber taxi services
Things to do:
- Head to Emmarentia Dam for a canoeing session.
- Visit the Neighbourgoods Market in Braamfontein.
- Park Cafe is a popular spot at the Parks Shopping Centre.
- Try DW Eleven-13 at Dunkeld Shopping Centre for fine dining.
- Visit the Goodman Gallery for a dose of contemporary art.
Medical facilities nearby:
- Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital
- Genesis Clinic Saxonwold
- Life Brenthurst Clinic
- Netcare Rosebank Hospital
- The Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre
This article originally appeared in Neighbourhood, Sunday Times.
Take a spectacular journey through the Rosebank and Parktown neighbourhoods here: